J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economic and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEBUI) seeks a qualified applicant for a Training Associate position to support our effort in developing the capacity of local researchers, policymakers, and program managers in the development sector to conduct rigorous impact evaluation and utilize evidence in decision-making. Position Description The position offers an exciting opportunity to interact with key stakeholders in the development sector and turn cutting-edge development research into applicable knowledge. The Training Associate will assist in developing and delivering high quality courses relevant to the needs of researchers and policymakers, including but not limited to practical workshops in conducting rigorous data collection and analysis for impact evaluation, designing a randomized evaluation from start to finish, and how to utilize evidence for decision-making. The TA will collaborate with the research and policy team in creating course materials and identifying stakeholders. The Training Associate will be supervised by a Training Manager and collaborate with the J-PAL global office and other regional offices when necessary.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
External capacity building:
- Lead the organizing of J-PAL SEA’s flagship Evaluating Social Programs course on conducting a randomized evaluation, including outreach effort, participant engagement, updating of course content, coordination with teaching team and Principal Investigators (PIs), and logistical preparation;
- In collaboration with postdoctoral fellows, create customized training content for key stakeholders (government agencies, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral aid agencies), including but not limited to the topic of impact evaluation of social programs, program monitoring and measuring success, and data management;
- Conducting periodic M&E training Needs Assessment for partners organization, as well as for line ministries/ departments and developing training calendars to address their needs;
- Work with the policy and research team in editing content for conferences, evidence sharing workshops, and seminars around the region, to disseminate evaluation findings and how it relates to current development issues.
Collaboration and communication:
- Identify opportunities for building relationship and supporting partners’ M&E efforts through capacity building or ad hoc support;
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partners (e.g. government partners, donors, implementing partners, and survey firms);
- Oversee and lead the stakeholders’ engagement, exploratory work, and possible ad hoc support for partners’ M&E efforts;
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with partners.
Internal capacity building:
- Assist in conducting internal trainings for the development of J-PAL SEA staff, including gauging staff needs and interest through internal surveys, identifying suitable external coaches (when needed), and editing training content;
- Assist in identifying possible professional development opportunities for each vertical (research, policy and training).
- Work with the J-PAL SEA Finance team to keep detailed accounts of all project activities, including monitoring expenses and summarizing current expenditures and forecasting expected expenditures;
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities and writing grant proposals for training activities;Provide periodic updates on project activities to funders and relevant partners;
- Participate in the planning and design of any engagement activities;Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, public policy, statistics or related technical fields;Prior involvement in quantitative research in a collegiate or professional setting; Prior experience in event management involving a wide audience and multiple stakeholders in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English;
- Proven management and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations;
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise).
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Prior experience in developing learning resources in a collegiate or professional setting is strongly preferred; Familiarity with RCTs and M&E tools is strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software;
- Advanced writing and presentation skills (clear, precise, creative) for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand.
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before May 30, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Training Associate”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application;
- Attach PDF copies of your resume, academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA as a Training Associate and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling your future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.