The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) is seeking a Smart Cities Specialist to assist with the implementation of the USAID/Indonesia Local Governance Enabling Environment (ERAT– Tata Kelola PemERintahan yang Efektif, Efisien, dan KuAT) Activity.
The purpose of the ERAT Activity is to improve Indonesian service delivery at the subnational level by establishing governance systems to enhance oversight mechanisms and effectively manage key service processes. Through a partnership between the Asia Foundation (TAF) and ICMA, the ERAT activity will achieve the project goal: for the citizens of Indonesia to benefit from effective local government by increasing the quality of policy implementation and service delivery at the subnational level. ERAT will advance meaningful decentralization in Indonesia by promoting technically sound and politically feasible solutions to improve local governance and service delivery, particularly for the poor, women, and marginalized groups. ERAT will leverage TAF’s governance, adaptive management, and gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) expertise, and its long-term partnerships with key Indonesian stakeholders at the national, provincial, and local government levels, as well ICMA’s extensive experience strengthening the capacity of local governments across the world. ERAT adopts “refine and implement” approach. The main activities under Task Order 1 of ERAT that will be implemented in February 2021-January 2022 will be conducting political economy analysis (PEA) and co-designing the Government of Indonesia at the national and provincial levels as a part of Component 1 (Refine). The implementation of Component 2 (Implementation) will depends on the results of Component 1 and USAID’s approval.
The Smart Cities Specialist will assist with Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and program co-design process in component 1. During the COVID-19 quarantine period, the specialist will conduct virtual information gathering and engage stakeholders, conduct interviews, and meet with local government officials and staff. After the COVID-19 quarantine period passes, the Specialist will be expected to travel and meet with the aforementioned officials and stakeholders in person and be based out of the project office in Jakarta.
Key job functions include:
- Provide technical assistance to GOI, PGs, LGs, and partners throughout ERAT.
- Respond to technical requests on smart city development from GOI, PGs, LGs, and USAID as they may arise.
- Support national and provincial PEA teams on technical issues on smart city development.
- Support the Senior Technical Component Lead in implementing co-design processes, particularly on smart city development.
- Transition to Component 2 staff in project Years 2-5.
- Collect and analyze information and initiate plans developed by project municipalities related to their conceptualization of Smart City concepts.
- Facilitate the engagement of the private sector in service delivery through Smart City interventions.
- Identify synergies and strategic alliances with the public and private sectors (local, national and foreign) that could be harnessed in support of the transformation of select project municipalities into a Smart City.
- Develop an action plan as a part of the final ERAT design for transforming select project municipalities/districts into a Smart City, including but not limited to the improvement of the efficiency of municipal/district management and promotion of local economic development in a systematic and sustainable way.
- Analyze the status and potential of district/municipal services that could be improved using Smart City technologies/concepts, and identify the critical challenges and opportunities for moving forward with the implementation of a Smart City Action Plan.
Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced degree in Public Policy, Economics, Governance, Public Administration, Regional/Urban Planning, or a related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, prior work with USAID is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive relationships with government officials, the private sector, and civil society at the national and local levels.
- Demonstrated expertise in local governance and smart city development
- Excellent analytical and program management expertise.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in English and Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia)