The Senior Research Fellow on Gender, Environment and Development (GED) is an integral position within SEI Asia. The overall responsibilities are to undertake research activities related to ongoing projects and lead the intellectual development of new research projects under the GED research cluster.
The main role is to develop and implement SEI Asia’s strategy (2020–2024) to enhance SEI’s GED engagement and bring influence to bear on policies and practices related to our research in Asia. He/she/they will provide guidance to SEI Asia on all aspects of gender research and gender integration across all research teams, co-lead the global SEI Initiative on Gender Equity, Social Equality and Poverty (GESEP) and support SEI Asia’s key programme areas, Sustainable Mekong Research Network (SUMERNET) and the Strategic Collaborative Fund Phase 2, as well as contribute across programmes and projects at SEI Asia and SEI globally.
The policy role is expected to focus on climate science and/or natural resources management and policy in Asia. The appointee will be based at SEI Asia in Bangkok and report directly to the SEI Asia Centre Director while working closely with the key Asia cluster and project leads. The appointee will be responsible for line management of SEI Asia’s gender, environment and development research team.
- Provide intellectual leadership on GED/GESEP plans (GED team in Asia and GESEP initiative globally) and ensure that GED cluster work is in line with SEI and GED strategy and overall global SEI strategy, as well as stimulate content-related dialogue within the institute and stakeholders
- Contribute to the formulation, implementation and ongoing monitoring, evaluation and learning of the GED cluster strategic plan
- Lead large programmatic research efforts and ensure that research results are brought forward in decision-making contexts of high relevance to SEI’s mandate
- Line manage a team of researchers, providing regular guidance and feedback, monitoring the quality of the research process and reviewing publications and other outputs to ensure they meet project objectives and SEI quality standards
- Plan, develop and implement research projects consistent with SEI’s mission and GED/GESEP plans (GED team in Asia and GESEP initiative globally), with clear formulation of objectives, target audiences, deliverables and monitoring, evaluation and learning procedures in accordance with SEI project manual
- Identify new funding opportunities, secure long-term research funding support for multiple colleagues and build relationships with key funders
- Mentor early-career research staff, supporting their professional and career development and helping them build their research, writing and communications capacity
- Ensure strong portfolio of publications, including peer-reviewed academic journals every year.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Promote the aims and objectives of SEI as set out in its mission and in compliance with the global strategy. This includes participating in and contributing to the development of the respective centre and impact area.
- Participate in and contribute to the development of research projects or work and fundraising and planning for the content of the research
- Respect, implement and contribute to the development of institute policies, including the environment policy, ethics guidelines, different programmes such as staff development and the institute code of conducts
- Be a proactive team member, cooperating with and supporting colleagues in the research group or building up the groups within SEI Asia and participating in the cross-centre communications
- Ensure exchange of ideas with relevant institutes, scientists and experts, including other SEI centres.
Who you are
We are looking for a team player, innovative thinker, solutions-oriented doer and someone who enjoys working for a prosperous and just future for all. You are an outstanding leader in your field, a dynamic, passionate and curious individual, willing to challenge the status quo, push boundaries and bring about change in your field to enable its growth and within SEI.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Recognized expert in his/her/their field, with at least 15 years of research and practical experience in research project development and management and at least 8 years in managing early-career staff
- PhD in gender studies, development studies, sociology of sustainability studies, political science, human geography, anthropology or other related field
- Strong grounding in social science research, with an outstanding record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and experience with multiple methodologies. Expertise and published work should include interactions and exposure to new thinking and innovations within the general applied field of gender, environment, poverty, equity and sustainable development, with specializations in fields such as (but not limited to) feminist science studies, feminist/political ecology, environmental justice, post/decolonial studies, deliberative democracy and social justice and equity in sustainability transitions.
- Experience with research in development contexts, with a focus on multi-dimensional drivers of poverty
- In-depth understanding of sustainable development needs and challenges in the Asia-Pacific region
- Proven record of securing external funding for research programmes and a strong publications record
- Proven ability to lead a strong, visionary and lasting research portfolio involving a team of several researchers
- Proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments and other development actors through partnerships and projects
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience in translating and communicating scientific information to a range of different audiences
- Interest in policy engagement and capacity building
- Experience in a research/non-profit organization
- Experience working in an international environment
- Knowledge of one or more Asian languages.
Personal skills required
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for doing scientific research
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration, partnership and team building and the desire to work in a collaborative environment with time management.
How to apply
SEI Asia is an equal-opportunity employer and we consider all applicants on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless of and not limited to race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We review applications on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application soon, but no later than 4 July 2021. Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page). As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- curriculum vitae.
With a team comprising over 17 nationalities, SEI welcomes global applicants for all posts and provides an internationally competitive level NGO salary and benefits package, with all employee contracts under Thai labour law.