World Vision USA is a part of the larger World Vision International partnership, a development and advocacy organisation devoted to improving the lives of children, families and their communities around the world. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith. Globally, we have over 37,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries. Just over 1000 of us call World Vision USA home.
The Job: World Vision is looking for a Senior Business Development Manager to support our rapid growth in the health international development space. This position will support the US-based Business Development and World Vision National Offices overseas, to identify new opportunities among public, private and non-profit sources of funding. The position will:
- This position will support Lead Technical Writer for the Technical Proposal on strategic captures and proposals. In addition, he/she will collaborate with technical staff to gather required technical content for writing of compliant, responsive, and persuasive technical proposals. When not actively engaged in writing proposals, this person will support corporate Business Development Strategy development and implementation. In this capacity, he/she will develop donor profiles, inform development of critical corporate messaging, advise on development and implementation of long-term donor positioning plans and help to identify, influence and qualify opportunities. He/she will conduct ongoing business development-related research and data analyses to support team and other BD needs.
- Coordinate and manage all components of the proposal development process, ensuring a high quality and timely submission.
- Manage and or/support post submission and lessons learned processes. Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field-based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
- Engage in the Teams’ development of best practice and evidenced based approaches utilized in proposals.
- Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values. Prior to applying, candidates should read World Vision’s Statement of Christian faith.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
Pre-positioning/ External Engagement and Networking. Capture / Market Research (35%): Conduct market assessment research as required, on donor needs, opportunity information, competitive landscape and World Vision capabilities/capacity. Translate information into informative technical analysis and strategies. May participate in capture trips, reach out to Regional Teams and/or National Offices, and with identified (and/or identify local partners). Perform continuous updates of and maintain long-term positioning plans, donor profiles/ new clients and prioritized life of awards.
Proposal Preparation and Coordination. Technical Writing support (50%): Support the Lead Technical Writer on business development proposals, with overall responsibilities for developing compelling and compliant technical proposal and presentation documents. Close collaboration with Technical Leads (TLs), Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and partners/consultants to gather information needed to write assigned sections. During capture and preparation phases, facilitate win strategy development discussions, including development of technical solution, management plan and corporate capability. Draft Section Strategy(ies) and subsequent drafts that are compliant with solicitation, responsive to client needs, persuasive and an excellent presentation of our win strategy. Incorporate draft and color review feedback from Technical Leader (TL), Unit Head(s) and color reviewers into each draft iteration. Conduct additional research as required. Coordinate efforts of contributing writers and SMEs contributing to assigned sections; integrate contributions into one, cohesive technical proposal that showcases our win strategy and meets client needs and solicitation requirements. Support writing, copy editing, and formatting for additional proposal efforts and support sections as a contributing writer. Collaborate with proposal team and graphics staff to make excellent use of graphics. Help ensure technical proposal corresponds to budget and other cost volume documents. Post Submission: With proposal team, be prepared to respond quickly and competitively to technical questions from client post-submission.
Business Development Support and Coordination (15%): Assist in defining content and libraries for proposals, client profiles, developing templates and determining format/system to store and maintain information. Assist in developing methods and materials to communicate to clients what we do (priority technical areas) and where we do it (priority geographic areas). Support business development team/grants solutions team to improve proposal management systems. Support recurring and ad hoc technical writing needs, mentor/coach and counsel teammates; share examples of writing in winning proposals. Recommend and provide technical writing training as needed.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
- Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You Bring These Skills:
Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
Ability to work independently in a self-directed, results-oriented environment at a fast pace with strict deadlines.
Experience conducting international development research and gathering information from multiple sources including desk and field research. Proven ability to facilitate complex, technical discussions of participants with varied perspectives; facilitate design workshops, able to summarize and to identify action items and next steps. Demonstrated ability to distill large quantities of information into concise, salient points.
Knowledge of international health and market systems, catalyzing investment, MNCH, nutrition, gender/youth inclusion, FP/RH, HIV, fragile/humanitarian health, health systems and/or resilience a plus. International program management and/or in-country experience a plus.
Strong analytical skills; able to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve complex solutions. Proven organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks successfully under tight deadlines. Strong interpersonal, communication and troubleshooting skills.
Minimum 7 years’ experience working on writing technical proposals in international development, with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID
Five or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledgeable of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database applications; demonstrated ability to use Internet as a research tool.
Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time.
Ability to travel internationally on short notice.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s degree in health, public health, international development/relations, economics, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
- Keen interest and excitement in business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Arabic, Spanish, Swahili) highly preferred.