Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen is an international, medical humanitarian organisation working in more than 70 countries around the world. Our medical teams act fast to save people’s lives in conflict zones, natural disasters and epidemics. We go where we are needed most.
At the headquarters in Amsterdam, staff focusses on recruitment, communication and fundraising in The Netherlands and supporting operations in the field. We largely depend on the support of (private) donors and the broader public. The Communication and Fundraising Department works to create support and raise funds among the Dutch audience. More than 450,000 people support our work, but due to the growing needs in the world, we are looking for new supporters. At the same time, the changing society requires constantly adapted ways to connect with us.
At Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We encourage applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
In order to be able to further develop the online data-driven strategy of Artsen zonder Grenzen/MSF-Holland, we are looking for a:
Senior Advisor Directors Office (100%)
Flexible location with preference to be based in a MSF Office around CET time zone (+2)
The OCA Directors Office Department
The Directors’ Office exists to ensure the proper and ethical governance of MSF-OCA and MSF-Holland as being the legal entity of MSF-OCA; to ensure continuity and stability; fit for the challenges of the future. Collectively, it is responsible for strategy and accountability; governance; ensuring effective leadership and management; change and innovation; relationships with the OCA partnership and wider MSF movement; and the overall health of MSF-OCA and MSF-Holland.
Place in the organisation
The Senior Advisor – Directors Office reports hierarchically to the Head of Directors Office with a functional reporting line to the General Director MSF-Holland (GD/OCA Chair). You will work closely with the OCA Management Team along with their Executive Assistants. You will work in close cooperation with the Internal Communication Advisor to ensure the OCA Partnership is fully aware of the internal landscape of MSF.
Objectives of the position
The Senior Advisor – Directors Office advises the OCA Management team and senior leaders on internal affairs and strategic direction. You support the GD/OCA Chair and Head of Directors Office (HoDO) with the overall coordination of internal policy development across the MSF movement.
You coordinate and support the decision making process at the OCA MT by facilitating and enabling insight and knowledge dissemination whilst ensuring coherence and connectivity between international files, MT strategic priorities and communication with the OCA Council.
You coordinate the flow of information to enable effective decision-making so that OCA is well represented and positioned at the International level.
Do you have experience with strategic topics and advising on these to senior leaders? Are you looking for a spin-doctor role and being a special advisor to senior leadership? Would you like nothing more than to use these skills to make a difference for people in need and advise the OCA Management Team? Then we are looking for you!
Can you find yourself in the job description below? Then we would like to see your CV and cover letter!
- You provide timely and accurate written and oral updates and intelligence to the GD/OCA Chair and OCA MT members; leading on the advancement of key files as delegated by the M.
- You prepare the OCA MT for key internal meetings and debates; ensuring a clear pipeline of topics is well prepared for, with briefing documents supplied to OCA MT members.
- You will draft position papers for the OCA MT as required on key thematic areas.
- You ensure that the pipeline of policies (their development, approval, dissemination) follows the appropriate governance routes, ensuring that relevant and required inputs are captured and incorporated in a timely manner.
- You are responsible for briefing Heads of Department that represent OCA on MSF platforms and direct / ensure consistency, and define red lines. Ensuring clearly coordinated linkages between OCA’s work and functional plans align with MSF’s international work plan, and ensuring that where there are clear and agreed international priorities that those are embedded in OCA’s plan in an effective and efficient manner.
- You will write analysis papers, briefing notes, key messages, speaking notes, presentations and other documents in order for the GD/OCA Chair to be fully prepared to represent OCA.
You are able to provide overall coordination of internal policy development across the MSF movement and landscape. You can work independently in supporting OCA’s role at the international level. You have an extensive and up to date knowledge on internal policy debates and MSF governance. You have a clear understanding of the decision-making process and international policy processes in MSF and know how these may be influenced. You coordinate (leading) remote teams and networks in order to deliver effectively on common goals and outcomes regarding policy input/changes.
- Highly skilled in policy development and dissemination
- MSF experience is required, field experience is a plus
- At least 7-8 years of experience in MSF or in a similar role
- Knowledge and understanding of MSF international portfolios is an asset
- Understanding and practical experience of MSF governance is critical
- Excellent command of the English language, French is an asset
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication and advisory skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Given the nature of the position, organisational sensitivity is key as is building trust
- A flexible working attitude is essential
- Self-starter who takes initiative, work independently, and is able to anticipate and prepare for internal MSF organisational debates. Able to set priorities and communicate them clearly
A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organisation. A challenging experience within a NGO.
We offer you a Dutch employment contract, based on 40 hours per week. A gross monthly salary in scale 8 between between € 3.903,- and € 5.571,- depending on professional experience, based on a 40-hour working week.
The contract is for one year (subject to satisfactory performance) based on a fulltime appointment.
Attractive secondary benefits (e.g. premium free pension, 30 holidays).
In case your location is other than Amsterdam, but based in a country with OCA or MSF office presence we offer you a local employment contract, based on 40 hours per week.
How to apply
Information and Application
MSF-Holland is an organisation committed to promoting inclusion and diversity. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA2S+ people, and individuals living with disabilities to apply.
If you recognize yourself in this profile and meet the requirements, we welcome you to apply directly via the Apply button on his page and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document (only applications with a motivation letter will be included in the process). An assessment can be part of the recruitment process.
The closing date for applications is 15 August 2021. Due to the holiday season it is possible you receive any feedback from MSF a little bit later than expected. The interviews will take place from 23 August.
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information about the recruitment procedure, please contact: Kerry Brandon, mailto:email@example.com.
*Acquisition is not appreciated*