Are you ready to pursue an exciting opportunity with a progressive humanitarian organisation in a senior management role? Would you thrive working in one of the world’s most challenging humanitarian regions, the Middle East?
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Regional Head of Programme, Middle East. DRC applies a regional approach with operational presence in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey & Yemen with a Middle East Regional Office (MERO) based in Amman, Jordan, which has 30 staff. Overall in the region DRC Middle East has more than 1,800 staff and an operating budget of USD 120 million.
About the job
In close collaboration with the Regional Director and the Regional Programme Team, the Regional Head of Programme provides leadership to regional strategies and programmatic priorities; regional fundraising; regional representation; programme quality; and supports countries as required.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Strategic Lead & Advice
- Define and review on a regular basis the regional programme strategy as outlined in the Strategic Programme Document (SPD)
- Coordinate the development and review of regional strategic sector frameworks
- Support country offices in setting and reviewing their programme strategies
- Ensure that country programme strategies are in line with the agreed upon regional framework and priorities
- Participate in the recruitment & appraisal of HoPs and other senior programme managers/coordinators at country level
- Develop/update strategic tools whenever needed, e.g. Strategic Programme Frameworks or Country Action Plans
- Ensure that technical support is provided by Regional Coordinators to country offices either upon their requests or whenever need is identified
- Coordinate country field visits of Regional Coordinators as per priorities and support needed
- Monitor country programmes on a regular basis and report to country and regional management teams
- Ensure that technical standards and guidelines are made available to country programme teams
- Provide induction training via regional induction group training and individually to programme and non-programme staff members
- Liaise with DRC technical specialists in HQ to ensure proper coordination, dissemination of policies, standards or guidelines to countries and as well act as interface between countries and HQ technical specialists for specific requests coming from the field
Quality Control Improvement
- Lead regionally the programme quality improvement initiatives including the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
- Plan, design and manage relevant regional external evaluations
- Coordinate a regional learning system including sharing of evaluation’s recommendations, best practices and lessons learned between countries
- Coordinate the M&E system at regional level (reports, best practices and tools’ sharing)
- Facilitate exchange of expertise and experience between countries when/if relevant
Grants & Partnership Management and Fundraising
- Oversee the support provided by the Regional Grants & Partnership Coordinator to countries on proposal development and reporting
- Coordinate development of regional proposals and reports to donors
- Conduct strategic review of regional proposals and relevant country proposals as per grant management guidelines
- Contribute to the fundraising and donor engagement strategy
- Ensure that country programmes are compliant with regional grant management guidelines
Representation and Coordination
- Represent DRC in regional coordination meetings (i.e. 3RP and WoS) and other programme meetings when relevant
- Represent DRC at country level when relevant and requested by the country programme
- Organize on regular basis regional programme workshops
- Develop networking between Head of Programmes to facilitate exchanges
- Organize relevant regional programme unit meetings to coordinate and plan priorities
- Play an active role in the regional SMT and related meetings/initiatives, e.g. Regional Results Contract, Regional Annual Review, CD/regional meeting
- Coordinate with other regional HoPs and exchange tools and best practices and participate in global internal programmatic discussions including on global platforms
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a minimum of seven years’ programme management experience, preferably in complex humanitarian environments, at a senior level in a humanitarian or development organization, moreover, we also expect the following:
- Proven ability with respect to the design, management, monitoring and evaluation of large scale country and/or regional programmes, preferably with a focus on protection and durable solutions for refugees and displaced people.
- Experience with humanitarian accountability.
- Experience of fund raising, networking, advocacy and coordination highly desirable.
- Experience with donor liaison.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
- Work related experience from the Middle East region or similar complex displacement situations.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Level: E, Senior Management
Start date: Mid-June
Duty station: Amman (a family duty station) with frequent travel in the region
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates or DRC’s National Staff salary scale. This position will be placed at E band for expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Regional Director email@example.com