Job Title: Project Assistant
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Nairobi, Kyiv and Bangkok. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Internews’ AUDS project seeks an experienced Project Assistant. The Project Assistant will be a part of the team managing a 15-month project aimed at enhancing public access to independent news and information on issues that affect citizens’ lives in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine. The project will enhance the safety and security of civil society organisations and independent media and improve the quality of media content and the financial sustainability of select media outlets in the four target countries.
Please be advised that the hiring for this role is contingent upon successful reciept of a current funding application.
- Assists in the daily administration of the project activities
- Works with project files and calendar, monitors incoming and outgoing project correspondence
- Provides logistical support in organisation of country and regional project events; travels on location to support logistics when required
- Prepares necessary documents and organises procurement of goods and services in accordance with Internews’ policies; files and archives procurement records
- Makes travel arrangements for project staff, consultants, and participants
- Reviews, compiles and coordinates travel expense reports of project staff, consultants and participants, сoordinates the remittance of travel expense reimbursements and advances
- Enters invoices in the ERP Finance system, coordinates wire payments to project consultants, partners and subcontractors
- Assists Finance specialist in the compilation of corporate credit card monthly reports
- Assists Finance specialist in review of actual expenditure against the budget and preparation of forecasts in line with project activities, donor and Internews’ requirements
- Translates documents, contracts, memos etc., including sub-grants reports and proposals, from Ukrainian, Russian into English and vice-versa
- Provides support in organising the grantees’ selection process
- Carries out any other duties that may reasonably be required in line with the main duties
- The Project Assistant reports to the Project director. The Project Assistant works closely with Finance specialist, Grants Coordinator and programme staff of the project.
Qualifications and Experience
- Self-starter and dynamic with strong level of self-awareness
- Experience in project administrative support
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- High level of numeracy skills and ability to review expenditure reports and documents
- Willingness and ability to travel with an understanding and appreciation of culture and diversity
- Exceptional organisational and administration skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Willingness and ability to adopt a hands-on approach
- Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Fluent English, native Ukrainian and/or Russian
Closing date: 06 December 2021
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the Ukraine and therefore a successful applicant must be able to demonstrate their right to work in the Ukraine and be based there for the full length of employment.