We are looking for a national Programme Officer to join the Kvinna till Kvinna office in Kigali, Rwanda and the Kvinna till Kvinna Global workplace. We are seeking a passionate women’s rights advocate who will help us further support building a diverse women’s movement in Rwanda.
The Kvinna till Kvinna Foundation has defended women’s rights since 1993. Today we are one of the world’s leading women’s rights organisations, working directly in areas affected by war and conflict to strengthen women’s influence and power. We work closely together with over 100 local partner organisations across 20 countries to end violence against women, reach lasting peace and close the gender gap once and for all. The future is equal. And together, we are change.
Deadline for application is 16 May 2021
About the job
The Programme Officer is part of the Rwanda team, based at the Kvinna till Kvinna office in Rwanda. You report to the Head of Office for Rwanda and will carry out your work in cooperation and coordination with the Rwanda team, Partner Organisations and stakeholders throughout the country as well as relevant staff at the Kvinna till Kvinna Head Office in Sweden.
As a Programme Officer you play a significant part in the development, delivery and follow-up of Kvinna till Kvinna’s programme in Rwanda. Critically, you are responsible for developing, monitoring and following-up on Kvinna till Kvinna’s partnerships with women’s rights organisations and women’s rights actors in Rwanda. You have the mandate to take decisions, in coordination with the Head of Office, within the framework of the approved operational plan and budget.
As a Programme Officer you are responsible for carrying out your work in accordance with the Kvinna till Kvinna’s mandate, policies, working methods, operational plan and budget. You shall conduct yourself conscientiously in accordance with the Kvinna till Kvinna code of conduct, anti-corruption policy and co-worker policy, ensuring the good reputation of Kvinna till Kvinna.
Specific areas of responsibility
Support to Partner Organisations
- The Programme Officer is the primary point of contact for a group of partner organisations under their portfolio. This includes communication to and from the partner and Kvinna till Kvinna. They are expected to maintain and uphold good relations with partner organisations, involving the Head of Office where necessary.
- The Programme Officer is responsible for receipt, assessment and administration of applications and contracts from new and existing partners and making recommendations on the type of support, budgets, cooperation, etc, in consultation with the Head of Office and other Rwanda staff.
- The Programme Officer has the primary responsibility to assess and monitor the quality of partner organisations’ written work – including but not limited to written reports, budgets, monitoring plans and results.
- The Programme Officer is expected to conduct regular visits to partner organisations, monitoring and documenting partner organisations’ programmatic results and the quality of their programmatic work, as well as organisational capacity and development.
- The Programme Officer is responsible for receiving and submitting quality reports and action plans from Partners for the Rwanda Governance Board on a bi-annual basis.
- The Programme Officer is responsible for identifying and assessing potential new partners to work with Kvinna till Kvinna, in consultation with the Head of Office and other relevant staff at the Rwanda office.
- The Programme Officer shall, in accordance with Kvinna till Kvinna methods and core values, encourage and support partner organisations to seek funding and take initiatives for capacity building, networking, etc.
Leading Kvinna till Kvinna Programme Activities
- The Programme Officer is expected to design, coordinate, plan and facilitate capacity development and networking events in Rwanda, and the region, relevant to Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda’s thematic areas (GBV, SRHR, Women’s Economic Empowerment, Conflict resolution and peacebuilding and women’s movement building).
- The Programme Officer is expected to be the focal point for women’s economic empowerment as a thematic area and as such, will be responsible for guiding the office in relation to technical quality and standards. The Programme Officer will be expected to maintain close relations with Head of Office technical advisors specialising in this thematic area as well as networks of other experts domestically, regionally and internationally.
- The Programme Officer shall contribute to, or lead, in the development and roll out of research initiatives led by Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda.
- When delegated by the Head of Office, the Programme Officer will represent Kvinna till Kvinna at official meetings and functions, for example with the Swedish Embassy, Sida, international organisations and other donors.
- The Programme Officer may be expected to be the focal point for a Government ministry or institution and will be expected to keep up to date with coordination by that ministry/institution and to maintain close contact and relationships with key focal points.
Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda Office Operations
- The Programme Officer shall prepare input to proposals and reports to donors as requested by the Head of Office and Grant Manager.
- Other similar tasks as delegated by the Head of Office.
To apply for this position you need to have at least:
- Minimum of seven years of relevant experience
- University degree in social sciences or relevant field
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to women’s rights and gender equality
- Demonstrated experience, and commitment to, working with and supporting women-lead and focused civil society in Rwanda, including in organisational development for civil society organisations
- Demonstrated experience in experience in transformative approaches to women’s economic empowerment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender-based violence prevention and response, sexual and reproductive health rights, enhancing women’s participation and leadership.
- Demonstrated experience with women’s rights advocacy and activism
- Experience planning, coordinating, and facilitating trainings in thematic areas relevant to Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda’s areas of focus.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to lead and coordinate teams of people to deliver an activity.
- Ability to analyse reports and budgets using Microsoft office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Effective communication skills in team environment
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically overnight and occasional international travel.
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Experience working for an international non-governmental organisation
Terms & conditions and what we offer
This is a full-time position for a period of one year, with possibility of extension
Preferred starting date: 1 June 2021, negotiable
This is a national position under Rwanda labour legislation.
This position is open to Rwandan nationals only.
Please also note that due to the nature of the work women are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Head of Office Bridget Rhinehart: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer Filippa Klintberg, Filippa.firstname.lastname@example.org