The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) is an international organisation tasked with promoting innovative, comprehensive and sustainable migration policies. With 18 Member States and over 75 projects active throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, ICMPD is a growing and ever-more relevant presence in its field. The organisation’s greatest assets are its 250+ staff members, who personify its values of commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
The Mobility Partnership Facility (MPF) is a European Union-funded initiative working to operationalise the Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (GAMM). The MPF aims to strengthen European Union (EU) dialogue and cooperation on migration and mobility with its main partner countries in this area.
MPF III is built around four strands:
- Operationalisation of Mobility Partnership (MP) and Common Agenda on Migration and Mobility
(CAMM) Joint Declarations through targeted Actions (Strand A);
- Horizontal activities supporting MP and CAMM constituents (Strand B);
- Political dialogues and processes, especially the third phase of the Prague Process (Strand C); and
- Pilot projects in the area of legal migration with selected partner countries (Strand D).
FUNCTION (Task Identity):
The MEL Officer is responsible for the development and implementation of activities in the fields of MEL, results-based management, and knowledge management. S/he plans, organises and develops MEL and related products to ensure that technical resources, tools and systems are comprehensive, functional, aligned with professional MEL standards and with ICMPD strategy execution plans (SEP), as well as supportive of ICMPD organisational strategy, effectiveness and results.
The MEL Officer develops and maintains relationships with key ICMPD staff seeing technical support for MEL, strategy alignment and related activities, as well as other partners, beneficiaries and stakeholders based on demand. S/he contributes to overall planning and implementation of all key MEL activities, which includes conceptualising, planning and delivering MEL-related services, products and resources; producing original content and contributing to the further development of additional MEL-related services and resources; and supporting teams in developing frameworks for and assessing achieved results, including quality and impact.
S/he also supports the development of and contributes to any needed reports and other products related to MEL, strategy execution, evidence building, knowledge management or other substantive reports for the organisation, Member States, donors or other stakeholders as well as their dissemination through various channels.
S/he develops the ICMPD’s body of evidence by synthetizing and formulating policy findings and lessons learned, developing knowledge-driven and evidence-informed materials and products and develops new policy initiatives and projects. Where needed, s/he plans, organises and supervises the work of experts and contractors needed to develop MEL technical tools and resources, ensuring the high quality and timeliness of all outputs delivered in support of achieving results and building an ICMPD evidence base.
The MEL Officer works collaboratively with project teams and staff in all ICMPD entities to implement synergies and economies of scale across different activities and projects, as well as efficient information sharing and knowledge exchange. S/he will work as part of a larger team focused on MEL, strategy and knowledge management under the leadership and supervision of the Strategy, Knowledge, Evaluation and Impact (SKEI) Head of Unit, and with the team focused on strategy, knowledge, evaluation and impact to ensure smooth administration of all related activities.
In the context of the MPF programme, the MEL Officer is responsible for updating MPF programme monitoring tools and broader MEL framework to ensure that programme impact and results can be effectively measured and reported in line with internal and donor’s requirements. S/he will lead updating/refining the current MPF theory of change (TOC) and results chains. This will include refining planned outputs, outcomes and objectives, as well as indicators, so that planned impact is clear and logically linked to each point in the results chain. It will also involve refining key performance attributes, including baselines, mid- and end-targets, and data sources, as needed. S/he will also support the development of team capacity to monitor, record and report data against indicators from the new or refined framework. With the support of the Head of Unit, s/he will provide MEL input and guidance to the Global Initiatives Programme, as needed/upon request.
The MEL officer will form part of the SKEI team within ICMPD, working in close collaboration with and under the project-related guidance of the MPF Senior Programme Manager, Grants Coordinator, Labour Mobility Specialist, other team members, as well as the Head of the Global Initiatives Programme. S/he will also work closely with other programmes and initiatives across the organisation to support horizontal information exchange and information management and to ensure the implementation of the organisation’s tools and practices within the project. S/he will be responsible for the updating and maintaining of the programme’s TOC, MEL framework, logframe and other tools. S/he will also be responsible for linking the programme to EU member states and other actors’ ecosystems in relation to the MEL framework. S/he establishes and fosters trusted work relationship with the project stakeholders and partners.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (per Job Component):
I- MPF MEL Guidance and Programme Management:
Review and update the programme’s TOC and MEL plan/framework
Guide monitoring activities, including:
* Revise programme and grantee monitoring tools and reporting formats, in line with ICMPD’s
evolving processes, structures and requirement
* Develop and improve processes as needed and in consultation with the Senior Programme Manager, RMU and as appropriate, with CRM. This may include:
- Recommendations to update the grant contract dossier to ensure effective monitoring of and by grantees
- Additions to the programme early warning system and risk management
- Support to the integration of information flow systems between the MPF, RMU and other relevant units of ICMPD
* Liaise with the Grants Coordinator and work jointly to review and update the grantee monitoring system (monitoring calls, monitoring missions, logframes, etc) to ensure effective data capture at the grant level and reporting at the programme level
* Take part in and lead monitoring missions.
* Collaborate with internal SKEI team to support quality assurance/high-quality monitoring activities.
Guide evaluation activities, including:
* Prepare an approach and tools for external evaluation of grant contracts, following both Strand A and Strand D objectives
* Prepare a tender dossier for identification of an external evaluation service provider to evaluate MPF funded grant contracts, review the quality of deliverables and work with the appropriate counterparts to ensure high-quality evaluation products
* Oversee and manage the delivery of external evaluations of grant contracts and ensure that outcomes are effectively communicated to the donor and other stakeholders
* Extract information and lessons learned from evaluation products and facilitate and/or prepare briefs, information products or hold sessions that promote the project outcomes and learnings
* Ensure that the MPF is ready for evaluation at programme level with data available, verifiable and information held in a coherent and structured way.
* Collaborate with internal SKEI team to support quality assurance/high-quality evaluation activities
Guide knowledge management activities, including:
* Recommend and oversee the implementation of a programme level knowledge management
strategy for the MPF in close collaboration with the Senior Project Manager, Grants Coordinator and Labour Mobility Specialist. Ensure alignment of this strategy with that of ICMPD
* Working closely with the Senior Programme Manager to update the country fiche formats (information document) for partner countries and look at new information sources, formats and platforms for these. Identify jointly a way forward for data collection and collation – considering options such as regional offices/national offices in discussion with the Head of the Global Initiatives unit.
* Support the Labour Mobility Specialist to prepare information and knowledge products and events that promote information exchange, learning and the dissemination of knowledge arising from MPF funded initiatives.
* Prepare inputs to project reports, presentations, and briefs as well as for requests for information from the donor or other stakeholders.
* Support the Senior Programme Manager in refreshing and updating the MPF website and newsletter with monitoring data and learning products to ensure that they are effectively incorporated
* Support the project team in reviewing and supporting the filing system and data registration undertaken with a view to integration of various templates and methods
* Collaborate with the Senior Programme Manager to review, reform and roll-out the MPF Scoreboard – an existing data information platform for input by partner countries
* Support the Senior Programme Manager to develop ToR for external research and/or collaborate with the ICMPD research team to develop and deliver thematic research as identified in the programme workplan and agreed with DG HOME in areas of interest to the MPF.
* Participate in conferences/meetings/seminars as agreed.
Support the Senior Programme Manager in coordinating reporting in a timely way to donors and partners, help formulate and draft progress and final reports for projects including statistical information – in cooperation with the MPF Team.
Perform other duties that may be assigned or required for the MPF programme.
II- Planning and implementation of activities:
Plan and organise MEL activities related to MPF assigned to him/her by the Head of Unit according
to unit work plans.
Plan the implementation of MEL and policy-related outputs in the assigned programmes, projects and processes.
Formulate and revise MEL-focused activities in project work plans.
Ensure that all assigned MEL tasks activities are implemented in an efficient and cost-effective manner in line with the work plan, following ICMPD administrative rules and processes.
Mobilise experts for activities, including preparation of Terms of References and specifications.
Coordinate the work of MEL experts, consultants and contractors ensuring that content and outputs are produced in a timely manner, according to project work plan and ICMPD’s quality standards.
Initiate and follow-up on recruitment processes of MEL experts according to ICMPD’s recruitment procedures. Prepare recruitment requests, organise and participate in selection processes and interview panels.
Provide inputs to the implementation of the communications plan(s) relevant to MEL work within the project. Draft MEL content.
Identify and manage risk related to MEL work plans and results, including registration of risk and the preparation of proactive plans and responses.
Assess and monitor progress of assigned MEL activities. Propose corrective action when required and implement them.
III- Production of MEL project content and substantive outputs:
Contribute to, review, comment on and revise MEL outputs and content of medium to high
complexity (reports, studies, presentations, policy papers, publications).
Plan and organise processes related to the production of MEL content of medium to high complexity
(studies, policy papers, thematic/sector reports etc) by:
o Identifying or developing needed approaches and methodologies.
o Developing needed technical guidelines, instruments, tools and resources.
o Identifying and helping manage junior team members and external experts.
o Conducting desk research, collecting and compiling data, materials and literature from various sources, analysing, drafting findings.
o Reviewing, commenting and revising project content and outputs following ICMPD’s quality standards.
Identify and acquire new technical MEL concepts and methodologies. Develop, formulate and draft technical MEL-related inputs to new concepts, tools, resources, work plans and budgets.
Other MEL-related tasks and results, as assigned.
KEY RESULTS (as per Job Component):
An updated MPF monitoring strategy and TOC are prepared and agreed.
Monitoring and evaluation activities are implemented according to the MPF contracts in force and in adherence with the programme requirements.
Impact and results of the MPF are better captured, distilled, analysed and disseminated.
Risk management and early warning systems are reviewed and understood by MPF team and RMU, in collaboration with ICMPD risk management staff.
MPF develops a profile as a knowledge creator and hub through more effective monitoring, evaluation and learning activities.
MPF is more effectively linked into the overall migration management and policy context of ICMPD and beyond.
MEL project activities organised and implemented efficiently and cost-effectively according to work plan in the assigned projects.
MEL project inputs administered according to ICMPD’s rules and processes and donor requirements.
MEL project outputs related to area of work delivered in a timely and high-quality manner.
Knowledge products and content for assigned projects or initiatives defined, formulated and
produced according to ICMPD’s quality standards.
Information and data collected and analysed and inputs provided for a range of technical MEL outputs in programmes, projects and processes and in relation to results-focused architecture and organisational effectiveness.
Qualitative inputs to formulation of new technical concepts, initiatives, resources, tools and plans
related to MEL activities and resources provided.
A minimum of 5 years of position-relevant technical experience in the field of MEL, contributing to the development of M&E/MEL frameworks, strategies, plans and/or actual monitoring systems or project evaluations. Work experience with monitoring and/or evaluation for EU-funded projects/programmes and with EU logframes is an advantage.
Specific experience with international migration and mechanisms (migration governance, rightsbased migration management).
Substantive knowledge of migration issues.
Demonstrated experience with diverse, professional MEL approaches, designs and methodologies, including including rigorous and mixed-methods designs and innovative analysis techniques.
Strong experience developing performance indicators, monitoring systems, logical frameworks, logic models, theories of change, mixed-methods evaluations and tools, surveys, and interviews, among other approaches methods.
Demonstrated experience in the designing and development of quantitative and/or qualitative data collection instruments (e.g., surveys, performance measures or indicators, policy scoring, interview guides, and observation guides).
Solid experience conducting analyses of quantitative and qualitative data using up-to-date analysis techniques.
Experience in database development/management and other relevant knowledge management tools essential.
Ability to situate a programme within a complex geo-political eco-system and identify relevant information sources for metadata as well as targets for information dissemination.
Well-established, demonstrable and highly effective oral and written communication skills, including analysis for and drafting of monitoring reports and evaluation reports/reporting on data analysis in a clear, coherent and concise way for diverse, non-technical audiences.
Excellent organisational skills including managing conflicting priorities and working with tight deadlines.
Highly computer literate with practical experience in the use of Microsoft applications as well as some quantitative and qualitative data analysis software within a MEL context.
Solid knowledge of project cycle management.
Experience working independently and efficiently, proactively, under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
Computer literacy with practical experience using Microsoft applications as well as quantitative and qualitative data analysis and visualization software in an MEL context, complimented by the ability to quickly identify and adopt new software and data platforms needed for professional MEL- and knowledge management-related tasks, including dashboards and data visualisations
Willingness to travel as needed
Advanced university degree in migration, political science, international relations, law, social science methodology or similar fields.
Strong accountability, strategic thinking, professionalism, collegiality, sense of humor and appreciation for and ability to work with diverse people from different cultural, national and ethnic backgrounds and experience.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in international context.
Experience in an international context and with European Member State or EuropeAid funded
programmes and projects.
Proficiency in (verbal/written) English, proficiency in especially French is an asset. Proficiency in another European language, Russian and/or Arabic are also a plus.
Master’s degree in public policy, monitoring and evaluation, international migration or other social sciences.