Civic Space, Digital Rights and Safety – MENA Regional Mandate – 12 Months Full Time Volunteer Cooperation Mandate with Allowances and Benefits
ATTENTION: Because of international travel restrictions you must be living in the one of the countries of assignment (in Jordan or OPTi) at the time of your application. Please see requirements before applying.
City of Assignment: to be determined (Amman or Jerusalem)
Through its mission, Oxfam is committed to promote the well-being of children, youth, women and men.
Oxfam has a zero-tolerance policy towards any behavior that violates its code of conduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, as well as lack of integrity, corruption and fraud.
To do so, Oxfam will ensure to recruit candidates who demonstrate the same values as the organisation and expects that everyone already working in the organisation shares and embody this commitment already.
Oxfam-Quebec is implementing its new volunteer cooperation program (VCP) entitled “Equality in Action” working in close collaboration with Oxfam teams in the countries of intervention. This program will take place over a period of seven years (2020-2027) in thirteen countries and three regions.
The VCP aims to increase the performance of local partner organizations in developing countries in implementing inclusive, innovative, and sustainable development initiatives that will advance gender equality in the 13 countries. Oxfam’s role is to support civil society organizations (CSOs) working with the most vulnerable and marginalized people to claim and exercise their rights. Oxfam puts women’s/girls’ rights at the heart of everything it does. The knowledge, capacity and expertise of the qualified volunteers will be leveraged through short and long-term assignments with local partner organizations.
The VCP will be articulated within Oxfam’s Country Strategy while ensuring compliance with Oxfam-Québec’s contractual agreements with its donors.
The Regional Platform (RP) of Oxfam in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) has a mandate to:
- Provide strategic leadership, management & accountability of and to Oxfam country programmes in MENA.
- Deliver regional impact, developing partner relationships, brand and impact in the region through relevant influencing and advocacy work, public engagement and programming
- Connect, coordinate, convene – Connect practitioners to sources of expertise, convene people to share knowledge and learnings, and coordinate capacity building initiatives
- Enable operational agility and efficiency – Provide support to Oxfam country offices
Purpose of Mandate:
To support MENA RP, Country offices and partners’ efforts in developing the civic space agenda, and its related topics such as protection of activism in the digital space, youth participation, digital rights and spaces and activism.
To strengthen already existing capacities of civil society organisations, groups and activists to be able to act, organize safely in MENA. This includes providing support to a diverse group of actors such as activists, HR defenders, feminist networks, coalitions fighting inequality and others, as well as Oxfam country offices and regional platform on the use of digital tools , creating alternative online spaces for action, integration of digital protection and safety into programming etc.
In close collaboration with the MENA regional platform team, the volunteer cooperant will be responsible for:
- To map current ongoing initiatives being implemented by main actors in MENA, by Oxfam Country offices and other actors in the field of digital rights and safety.
- Identify new areas of work for funding and synergies both at the regional and at country level within already existing or upcoming programmatic frameworks and strategies on the subject
- To support the development of proposals on youth, civic space, digital rights and online safety and security, women rights and online activism
- Based on the mapping conducted, to design a plan to strengthen technical capacities of Oxfam staff, partners, allies, activists and informal groups on digital rights, access and use of digital resources for campaigning and advocacy, digital protection and cyber security, and related matters
- Connect country offices and partners to relevant training opportunities within and outside the confederation. This include mapping capacity building opportunities offered by national, regional and international actors
- Conduct specific training to identified and interested actors, mainly virtually but also face to face if possible and depending on location, on digital rights, online safety, use of digital resources for activism and influencing
- Claiming and Reclaiming the Digital World as a Public Space, to support research areas on feminist approach linked to online safety and feminist activism. This could include documenting case studies and best practices whenever possible and needed
- To suggest research areas aligned to the strategies of programmes in countries and region in MENA, and gather evidence on already existing literature around civic space and the digital world in the MENA region, and how it relates to global dynamics
- Organize learning webinars on the relevant topics related to civic space and or digital safety in collaboration with the relevant knowledge hubs and working groups in the confederation, Regional Platform, MENA Country offices and partners
- To build professional capacities and skills through the access to open virtual resources available in Oxfam and others, to be agreed with line manager
- Share and embody Oxfam’s commitment to a zero-tolerance policy against behaviour that violates the code of conduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse; intimidation; lack of integrity; corruption and fraud.
- Participate in development efforts in Canada during and after the mandate by contributing to the dissemination of the program, projects, partners, etc. through testimonials, life stories, photos, quotes, etc.
Be domiciled in Jordan or in Occupied Palestinian Territory&Israel and have: Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent resident status. OR citizenship of a country in the Middle East other than the country where the person is domiciled.
University degree on IT sciences or related and with academic background or proven experience on human rights, civic space, development studies, social sciences, or related field.
At least 4 years of experience on areas related to this mandate’s description.
Ability to demonstrate flexibility working in diverse contexts and cultures, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work
Willingness to limited travel if possible due to restrictions
Excellent knowledge of Middle East context.
Good command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and Skype.
English and Arabic essential. French is an important asset too.
Experience in International Development (an asset).
Commitment to Oxfam’s principles and values including safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
Commitment to Oxfam’s mission and values, including the promotion of equality between women and men.
- Living and housing allowances
- Medical and life insurance
- Volunteer Support Program
- Days off (20 days off/year for mandates of 12 months or more)
- Airline ticket home at the end of the mandate
- Access to various training courses