Welthungerhilfe seeks to engage the services of a short-term expert to deliver technical guidance and assistance for the development of instruments to monitor and evaluate the performance of the organic cocoa Value Chain in Sierra Leone. IFOAM Organics International, one of the project partners, will provide specialized advice from an organic perspective and will work closely with the consultant.
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Expected outcome and output of the consultancy
Outcome: A suite of performance monitoring instruments is managed by the MAF and PMB, and helps to continually monitor, evaluate and change approaches within the VC to boost sector performance and effectivity.
Output: Validated suite of performance monitoring instruments for the organic cocoa value chain in Sierra Leone.
The activities of the consultancy should include but are not limited to:
- The consultant/s will propose a methodology for the development process of the tools that should include two workshops with the stakeholders: a kick-off/ planning workshop and a validation workshop.
- The consultant/s will provide facilitation of the two workshops.
- In cooperation with the MAF and PMB, the consultant will define the specific parameters to be monitored within the categories indicated above, and will define the respective indicators for each one of the parameters that are to be monitored;
- In the period between the two workshops the consultant/s will lead the development of the suite of instruments. The draft of the concept is prepared and presented by him/her at the validation workshop.
- The consultant/s will liaise closely with the project team and the key stakeholders throughout the process.
The performance monitoring instruments are expected to relate to the following categories:
- product and process upgrading (which might include indicators on the efficiency of production processes, techniques, technologies, equipment, introduced inputs, the product quality development etc.),
- the functional upgrading (which might include the opportunities of a particular VC actor (i.e. farmer organizations) to take up new value-adding functions like bulking, transporting, grading, processing),
- upgrading of coordination and business models (optimizing both the horizontal – i.e. strengthening organizations, and vertical relationships – i.e. linkages, platforms, market channels, access to market information, within the same VC segment and between various segments) and
- potential additional cross-cutting VC activities (policy engagement, gender, environmental aspects) and
- cross-cutting national general conditions (electricity supply, roads, export procedures, physical access to markets) Deliverables:
The Consultant/s will submit a short mission report and a comprehensive user-friendly manual with the developed and approved suite of performance instruments. The manual should include:
- “Tool kit” for the developed M&E instruments, with a comprehensive overview of the selected indicators, the M&E plan, the methodology on the collection and reporting of data as well as the integration of cross-cutting dimensions (especially gender)
- M&E Formats for monitoring missions
The key stakeholders will review the draft manual and the Consultant has to incorporate the inputs. The assignment will only be close once the manual is formally accepted by the Welthungerhilfe.
Your qualifications will include:
The consultant should meet the following criteria:
- Superior knowledge of monitoring and evaluation concepts and practices, preferably in relation with value chain development M&E
- Ability to design comprehensive M&E tools
- Proven experience in participatory result driven facilitation methodology
- Proven understanding of economic and social context in West Africa
- Proven understanding of challenges for sustainable agricultural value chains in developing countries
- Experience in working within the Development agencies
- Experience in working with Governmental institutions
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
Your requirements will include:
Written quotation on letter headed paper (duly stamped and signed on a PDF format) conditioned as follows:
- A technical proposal indicating concept note, detailed workplan, a timeline and methodology (maximum 10 pages)
The financial proposal
Daily fees for in-country, writing, travel, preparatory phase etc.
Cost of report and manual
Travel costs abroad and flight
Per diems (accommodation and food)
Material costs for workshops
FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION PLEASE REFER TO THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS, available on the EU supply platform