We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
ZOA is looking for a
Manager of Operations in Syria
ZOA’s programme in Syria
The humanitarian needs in Syria are staggering with 11.9 million people in need of humanitarian assistance and 6.2 million internally displaced people. ZOA has provided emergency relief to Syrians in Syria and neighbouring countries since 2014. In 2018, ZOA became registered to operate from Damascus. ZOA works alongside local partners in Syria to implement our projects and we are also strengthening our capacity to implement projects directly. Creating and strengthening of local capacity is an important element of the programme. We aim to continue and expand our activities in WASH, livelihoods, primary education, and emergency relief.
The Manager of Operations is responsible for effective and efficient management and control of all operational processes in the country organization. This includes Finances, HR, Logistics and IT, and Security.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
Leadership and management
- The Manager of Operations is a member of the Country Management Team and the Local Crisis Team;
- The Manager of Operations provides leadership to staff reporting to the Manager of Operations.
- Contributing to the Country Strategic and Annual Plan;
- Development of monthly and quarterly financial management information at country organization and at Programme Organisation level;
- Preparation of country annual accounts;
- Monitoring finance compliance to internal and external (donor and government) rules and regulations;
- Preparing and processing the allocation of indirect costs to project budgets;
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports at country organization and program organization level;
- Advising and supporting the Country Director and Program Managers in the development of budgets of funding proposals;
- Managing financial audits and responding to audit reports.
- Maintaining country-specific policies and procedures in the fields of Finance, HR management, Security, Logistics and procurement;
- Maintaining Country administrative manual (finance, HR, procurement) and ensuring compliance.
- Ensuring the right follow up of government procedures for approvals of country registration, project activities, travel and staff.
- Translating ZOA’s worldwide HR policies and procedures into the local cultural setting and the implementation of HR policies and procedures;
- Monitoring HR compliance to internal and external (donor and government) rules and regulations;
- Ensuring that Terms & Conditions of employment comply with local legal requirements;
- Ensuring gender sensitivity in staffing and policies.
- Implementation of IT and logistical policies and procedures;
- Monitoring and evaluation of logistical policies and procedures.
- Supporting the Country Director to enforce adherence to the security rules and instructions;
- Supporting the Country Director that Local Security Plans are being developed.
- The Manager of Operations contributes to partner capacity enhancement in areas of Finances, HR, Logistics and IT.
- The candidate is expected to fully support the vision, mission and values of ZOA.
- Bachelor degree in financial management or auditing and knowledge of HR and logistics;
- ZOA’s finance practices;
- Command of English is essential, command of Arabic is an advantage;
- Cross-cultural experience in a humanitarian setting.
Skills and Attitude
- Result-oriented approach;
- Takes initiative to improve processes and procedures;
- Knows how to prioritize;
- Alerts the Country Director and Finance Director (HQ) when financial problems, issues, risks arise including fraud;
- Flexible and adaptive conduct;
- Customer-friendly attitude;
- Taking initiative;
- Effective and appropriate communication.
- This is a non-family duty station.
- R&R regulations are applicable.
- Up to 10% of the time may be required for travel in-country.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit our website https://www.zoa-international.com/.
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Sandra Vogd email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via our website or apply via the button below:
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered. Internal candidates will have priority, in case of similar results.
Because ZOA highly values Integrity, we expect all colleagues to sign up for and adhere to our Code of Conduct. As part of its recruitment process, ZOA carries out rigorous background and reference checks for all candidates. As ZOA participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a written questionnaire, the “Statement of Conduct”, will be sent to past employers regarding Misconduct (such as sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment). This Statement of Conduct adopts the definitions used in the Scheme. The provision of references by ZOA will be subject to the Scheme as well.