Under the general supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support to enable the timely and highly consistent delivery of laboratory services to Migration Health clinicians in Manila.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
· Strict adherence to fraud prevention measures in all aspects of work performed for visa applicants.
· Strict adherence to biosafety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures, disposing of, storing and shipping of specimens.
· Collect adequate specimens for required examinations.
· Observe standard operating procedures adopted in the laboratory for all examinations and procedures.
· Ensure and maintain high quality of performed laboratory tests.
· Maintain laboratory database and log books neat and proper.
· Assist/maintain laboratory records in the computer.
· Assist in the preparation and submission of laboratory reports and examinations in a timely manner.
· Assist in the preparation and submission of stock orders in time, keeping stock records and monitoring consumption.
· Assist in managing specimens and laboratory materials shipment.
· Facilitate the internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory.
· Assist in the preparation and updating of standard operating procedures.
· Participate in training/refresher trainings.
· Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· University degree in Medical Technology or Medical Laboratory Technician or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years relevant professional experience in tuberculosis testing; or
· Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in TB culture and DST and Serological testing using e411 will be favorably considered;
· Valid laboratory technician license in the Philippines;
· Ability to work independently and analytically under time constraints;
· Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1*
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
This position should be filled only by candidates who are a national (Filipino Nationals) at the country of the duty station.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.