Position Title: Intern (Media and Communications)
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Manila)
Type of Appointment: Internship (6 months)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Programme Support Unit (PSU) of IOM Philippines Country Office supports all programmes of the Mission in terms of: Project Development (PD), Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Information Management (IM) and Media and Communications.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Project Development Officer in Manila, the intern will assist with the Programme Support activities of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Participate in developing communication strategies for current projects.
- Produce written content, graphic designs and video content supporting ongoing projects for donor and public distribution, in coordination with the Programme Support Team.
- Support the uploading of content on IOM Philippines’ digital channels and social media accounts.
- Assist in developing other visibility requirements for ongoing projects.
- Attend internal meetings related to operational areas of IOM’s activities.
- Assist with the preparation of situational and statistical reports on activities as assigned.
- Assist with preparation of offline and online events for ongoing projects.
- Assist with the monitoring, reporting and data entry works related to the programme support for the mission.
- Undertake all other tasks as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
- Gain experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
- Gain experience in creating quality communications contents aligning with IOM and UN standards.
- Acquire experience and technical knowledge of media and communication work related various migration and migrant issues and programme in the Mission, including strategic and effective communication activities through various platforms including social media.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s or University degree (or a student approaching the end of a Master’s or University degree) in Communications, Media Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- Experience in video editing software, such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects and Adobe Illustrator;
- Experience in editorial work (text and graphic);
- Experience in photography, video and audio recording;
- Proven ability to produce work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) Have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
b) Are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
c) Are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor;
d) are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience;
e) are between 20 and 36 years of age.
f) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional enquiries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
g) Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs.
h) Please consider the cost of living in Metro Manila (Makati City, Philippines) prior to applying.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators *level 1**
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.