Department: Human Resources
Location: Washington or remote US
Reporting to: Interim Lead Global HR Director
Direct reports: Payroll & Benefits Officer
and dotted line reporting of the Senior Employee Relations Officer
Budget responsibility: Non-Applicable
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
RI is undergoing a period of significant organizational change and the principal role of the interim Benefits & Compensation Director is to supervise and support the team during this period, ensuring that all basic payroll and benefits systems continue to be implemented to the highest standard and that any regulatory or legal changes are duly applied.
Under the supervision of the Interim HR Director, the Director of Benefits & Compensation will monitor and review RI’s reward practices globally and, through collaboration with other HR staff and Executive Team Leaders, ensure that reward policies are aligned with the organization’s strategic goals.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
· Provide leadership and guidance to the B&C team and other HR colleagues on areas related to policies and systems.
· Ensure that RI systems used for Compensation are compliant with applicable Data Protection Laws and regulations.
· Build the capacity Regional HRMs and Field HR Officers on areas related to compensation and benefits
Compensation and Benefits
· Responsible for the development, administration and ongoing maintenance of policies and programs related to compensation, benefits and systems
· Stay informed about and advise managers and executives on marketplace trends, relevant laws, and competitive rewards programs
· Design, oversee, and provide transparency on compensation and workforce analytics for staff, managers, and executives
· Provide consultative advice and excellent customer service to managers and HR partners on total rewards decisions (e.g. promotions/transfers, job offers, relocations) and policy and guideline interpretation
· Review, negotiate and monitor contract provisions with Comp, Benefits, and Systems vendors and service providers.
· Keep under review the existing insurance package related to employee insurance to ensure best value. Also ensure that insurance policies are renewed in a timely manner.
· Collaborate with Finance on the development of the annual personnel budget
· Build and maintain strong partnerships within the global HR department and across the organization, with a high level of effective interface with HR team members, Finance, Payroll, IT and Legal
· Ensure that all personnel transactions follow the appropriate procedures and that all requirements are met prior to approval of transactions.
· Devise methods to partner with Field HR Managers and field leadership to promote internal equity and external competiveness at all field offices.
· Collaborate with RHRMs, FHRM’s, and CD’s to assess compliance benefits and other payroll related obligations and deductions required by local labour codes and take necessary corrective action as needed.
· Complete a comprehensive tax review for International staff at all field offices to assess risk and compliance.
· Partner with Interim HR Director on benefits related to staff care.
· Supervise the administration of payroll from the HR side and all actions related to change in salaries, advances, allowances, etc.
· Provide proper orientation to GSO and International staff related to their benefit package and ensure that field offices globally are following similar practices.
· Constantly find creative and employee-friendly ways to communicate RI’s benefit packages to different groups of staff. This could be through brochures, videos, direct emails, etc..
· Acts as a gatekeeper of relevant HR systems to ensure consistency in practice.
· Provide quarterly personnel metrics for the global organization.
· Review and approve International Contracts to ensure consistency and accuracy of terms & conditions.
· Regularly review GSO and International staff contracts and offer templates to ensure that forms used are in in compliance with applicable laws and RI policies.
· Completes quarterly updates on TOOLBOX to ensure documents are up to date.
· When needed, lead the HR department in providing input and information required by different auditors.
· Ensure that GSO and International Employee Manuals are periodically reviewed and well communicated to current and new staff alike.
· Other duties that may from time to time be assigned by the interim HR Director, commensurate with the individual’s experience and skillset.
· Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
· Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure all people who come into contact with Relief International are as safe as possible.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- A relevant degree as minimum, together with a globally recognized HR certification.
- A proven track record of achievement in a previous, similar global role.
- Previously managed and overseen US and international payroll
- Knowledge and experience of global compensation packages (within an INGO context would be an advantage)
- Ability to support and communicate with teams in a positive and professional manner
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of rewards systems
- Strong organisational analytical and administrative skills, including a strong ability to focus on detail and quality.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet challenging deadlines.
- Ability to analyze complex organizational challenges and present innovative solutions.
- Excellent relationship management skills and ability to communicate in all forms (written, verbal, negotiation, presentation skills, etc.)
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation