Job Title: Grants Coordinator
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Nairobi, Kyiv and Bangkok. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Internews’ AUDS project seeks an experienced Grants Coordinator. The Grants Coordinator will be a part of the team managing a 15-month project aimed at enhancing public access to independent news and information on issues that affect citizens’ lives in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine. The project will enhance the safety and security of civil society organisations and independent media and improve the quality of media content and the financial sustainability of select media outlets in the four target countries. The Grants Coordinator will report to the AUDS Project Director.
Please be advised that the hiring for this role is contingent upon successful reciept of a current funding application.
Main job responsibilities include:
- Manage the sub-grants throughout the life-cycle of the project. In coordination with Project director and Finance specialist and relevant project staff, assist potential sub-grantees in developing and refining project budgets; prepare and file grant application documentation with IEU Sub-Grants Coordinator; draft sub-grant agreements and modification requests; develop small/micro-grants plans and policies; develop calls for applications
- Monitor sub-grantees to ensure that the implementation of their sub-grants is in line with sub-grant agreements and IEU sub-granting policy; highlighting major implementation issues to the Project director, Finance specialist, programme staff and IEU Sub-Grants Coordinator
- Prepare and organise induction and training to partners on grant management and compliance. Carry out field visits and monitoring calls as necessary
- Lead on due diligence in preparation for sub-granting to local partners
- Build grant-management (budget management, financial reporting, and compliance) capacities of local partners
- Review financial reports by sub-grantees against the local legislation, IEU and donor requirements. Consult the sub-grantees on correct reporting and the required supporting documentation as per the local legislation and IEU and donor requirements
- Monitor the sub-grants spending and flag any issues to Project director, Community manager and Media development manager
- Liaise with HQ-based IEU Sub-Grants Coordinator as per the IEU sub-granting policy
- File the sub-grant documentation using shared Internews resources for audit trail
- Keep the Project Director, project staff and Finance specialist informed of all relevant administrative and programmatic issues of sub-grantees
- Support sub-grantees in organisation and review of year-end sub-grant audits
- Lead on the sub-grants closeout
- Full management of micro-grants from due diligence to closeout
- If required, enter and review sub-grants and micro-grants invoices in the ERP Finance system, coordinate wire payments to sub-grantees with Finance specialist and IEU HQ finance staff, notify sub-grantees of wire payment remittances
- Carry out any other duties that may reasonably be required in line with the main duties
Qualifications and Experience
- Self-starter and dynamic with strong level of self-awareness
- Experience in grant administration and donor financial reporting
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- High level of numeracy skills, attention to detail, and ability to review, manage and carry out budget analysis
- Willingness and ability to travel with an understanding and appreciation of culture and diversity
- Exceptional organisational and administration skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of Sida’s or European Commission’s regulations and systems is an asset
- Good understanding of the sub-granting cycle
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Willingness and ability to adopt a hands-on approach
- Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Fluent English, native Ukrainian and/or Russian
Closing date: 06 December 2021
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the Ukraine and therefore a successful applicant must be able to demonstrate their right to work in the Ukraine and be based there for the full length of employment.