The Alliance is seeking to recruit a GIS Analyst who will be responsible for GIS mapping, spatial analysis and tool development in different projects for the Climate Action Lever in Africa. He will also be required to work very closely with other scientists within the Lever under the leadership of the supervisor depending on the specific projects(s). The desired candidate is innovative, dynamic professional able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
· Development and implementation of automation models and scripts to support spatial scientific research
· Develop custom spatial analysis workflows
· Develop and test desktop, mobile, server, and cloud-based GIS applications
- Write comprehensive custom application technical specifications and support documentation
· Collect supporting data, such as climatic or field survey data to corroborate GIS/remote sensing data analyses.
· Develop maps, charts, graphs, tables, dashboards, story maps, and other visualizations for use in presentations and publications.
· Constantly researches and prototypes new technologies for existing or planned solutions
· GIS database management
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- BSc or higher degree in interdisciplinary programs related to agriculture, environment, GIS, or other relevant field, with a focus and/or proven interest in rural development and climate change topics.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Proven ability of operating with commercial and open source web-based mapping technologies (Google Earth/Maps API, Esri ArcGIS Server, Open Layers, Leaflet and its advanced analysis and modelling packages/functions.
- Ability to work with map servers will be an added advantage
- Organizational skills in order to assure quality data and traceable workflow
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral, for diverse audiences including technical specialists and decision/policymakers.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Programing in Python or R etc. desired
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Nairobi (Kenya). The initial contract will be for one (1) year, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.