The position is to be filled from April 1, 2021, with an initial contract duration of 18 months. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Butembo, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
As Finance Officer you are responsible for the financial-administrative implementation of our projects in the Beni/Lubero Territory in accordance with internal and donor guidelines. You will implement existing financial management standards in the programmes and projects efficiently and promptly, thereby making a significant contribution towards the success of the programme work.
- Ensure that project funds are managed correctly according to the specifications of Welthungerhilfe (WHH) and the co-financers
- Liquidity planning of the projects, fund requests, bank transactions, bookkeeping, preparation of end-of-month accounts and prompt financial reports in cooperation with the Head of Finance in the Country Office
- Ensure that the documentation of data, account assignment and bookkeeping entries are carried out correctly in the bookkeeping software
- Ensure that costs within a project or between projects are allocated internally
- Prepare documentation on expenditures and budget control while ensuring their approval by the Head of Project
- Prepare annual account documents in cooperation with the Head of Project and the Head of Finance in the Country Office
- Instruct, advise, and supervise the local administrative staff
- Verify purchases and awarding contracts according to the valid regulations of WHH and co-financers
- Monitor and correctly process relief supplies and other equipment, particularly in terms of compliance with import regulations
- Ensure that the project’s financial administrative processes are auditable and efficient
- Instruct and support project partner organizations in matters relating to financial management so that they fulfil their contractual obligations towards WHH and co-financers
- A university or polytechnic degree or a completed commercial training in a relevant field like accounting and/or controlling
- At least 3 years of project-related professional experience in the administration of co-financed projects for an international (aid) organization
- KFW/USAID/EU donor experience is desired
- Excellent communication and inter-cultural skills
- Coordination and organizational skills, even under high workload
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English and French; German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.