USAID/Vietnam Learns Contract
Terms of Reference: Environmental Pollution Stakeholder Mapping
About Social Impact
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI is implementing the new USAID/Vietnam Learns Contract. The scope of the five-year project is to support USAID/Vietnam staff and its implementing partners to implement more efficient, effective, and sustainable programs by (1) improving staff knowledge and skills in Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) and Collaborating, Learning & Adapting (CLA); (2) advancing evidence-informed decision-making; (3) strengthening strategic collaboration between staff and local stakeholders.
**Please Note: This is a local position. Only Vietnamese citizens will be eligible to apply.**
The United States Agency for International Development Mission in Vietnam (USAIDVietnam) Office of Energy and Environment (OEE) is planning to release a solicitation for a new collective impact activity focusing on addressing environmental pollution in Vietnam. Given the importance of working with the Government of Vietnam (GVN) to scope, launch and support new projects, OEE wishes to engage the Vietnam Environment Administration (VEA) within the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) as the key GVN counterpart for this new solicitation. OEE also seeks to better understand the wider landscape of stakeholders working on environmental pollution issues in order to inform future support.
Purpose and objectives of the assignment
OEE seeks the support of a consultant to advise on the makeup of the VEA, its roles and responsibilities, and appropriate strategies for engagement and long-term partnership. The findings will be used to inform the partnership arrangements with the VEA, and potentially shape the project scope, including selection of provinces for support through subsequent activities. The findings may also indicate more suitable GVN counterparts as well. It is also anticipated that implementing partners (IPs) may make use of the findings to inform activity delivery.
The following key objectives have been identified for the assignment:
- Understand the mandate, motivations, challenges, and interests of VEA re: environmental pollution overall.
- Map the departments/units within VEA. Explore the benefits and challenges of working with various departments within VEA.
- Explore the benefits and challenges of engaging VEA at the national or provincial levels.
- Understand the nature of VEA management of/engagement with National Action Plans (NAPs) on environmental pollution, and how this relates to other GVN authorities, local organizations, and international donor initiatives. Relevant NAPs to be reviewed include those on Marine Plastic Waste, Solid Waste Management, and Air Quality Management.
- Identify the implications of the new Environment Law on the VEA and engagement with the institution.
Additionally, the assignment should highlight the ecosystem of (primarily) other GVN actors including central government agencies and provincial governments and (secondarily) other top NGOs, international organizations, private sector actors, and donors working on environmental pollution issues and their connections to VEA. This could also explore the relationships between VEA and these other stakeholders, where there are shared interests or divergent interests, and any bottlenecks.
This assignment is expected to produce a stakeholder mapping report (maximum 5-10 pages) that includes a brief narrative analysis on the above based on and inclusive of the following:
1. Stakeholder mapping visuals that show the:
Connections within VEA’s departments and the various interests and purpose of those departments, vis-a-vis environmental pollution, and
Connections between VEA and other stakeholders working on environmental pollution (top NGO connections, donors, other central government bodies, and provincial governments).
2. Stakeholder analysis chart(s) that identify the interests, positions, mandates, challenges, and engagement possibilities for key stakeholders (identified under 1b above), including VEA and provincial governments, other central government bodies working on environmental pollution, NGOs, and donors.
The consultant will also prepare and deliver a brief presentation for OEE at the end of the assignment, summarizing the findings and recommendations.
The consultant should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher and at least 10 years of relevant experience on environmental issues in Vietnam
- Proven track record of engagement with senior GVN officials, particularly the VEA, on environmental issues
- Strong experience with qualitative research methods, particularly key informant interviews, as well as analysis of secondary documents
- Proven ability to summarize significant amounts of qualitative data to a range of audiences to ensure effective use, including visualization
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- High level written and oral communications skills in English and Vietnamese.
The consultant will report to Sean Mulkerne, Senior Governance and Learning Specialist, USAIDVietnam Learns. Mr. Mulkerne will support the consultant to develop research tools, analyze findings, and produce final deliverables. Additional support from the Learns Research team will be added as required.
A total of 20 days is allocated for this assignment, to be completed no later than February 8, 2021. An indicative timeline is as follows:
|December 15||TORs released|
|December 24||Deadline for expressions of interest|
|January 8||Consultant selected|
|January 11||Presentation of research tools|
|January 25||Completion of research|
|January 29||Draft deliverables submitted|
|February 3||Feedback on deliverables to consultant|
|February 8||Final submission and presentation|
The closing date for application: December 24, 2020. Selection and interview will be performed on a rolling basis, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply, please merge both your CV and a cover letter into one word/pdf file and submit it through the online portal.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
Interviews may include a practical test or skill-based demonstration.
 NB: The NAPs on Marine Plastic Waste, Solid Waste Management, and Air Quality Management do not fall under the Vietnam Environmental Administration’s authority. The National Action Plan on Marine Plastic Waste falls under the managing/coordinating authority of the Vietnam Administration of Seas and Islands (VASI), within the Department of International Collaboration. Currently, OEE is not aware of the responsible GVN authority managing the National Action Plan on Solid Waste Management or the National Action Plan on Air Quality Management.
 Please note that OEE does not expect to analyze all provincial governments or NGOs but the most active in addressing environmental pollution. For provincial governments in particular, this analysis could be general (not by province) about provincial government interests, challenges, engagement possibilities, etc.
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất