BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC) Coordinator will serve as an active member of the ICT Working Group, through deployment to Syria and Surrounding Countries’ Response and will be responsible to:
- Support service delivery by: providing a platform that ensures service delivery is driven by the Strategic Response Plan1 and strategic priorities; Developing mechanisms to eliminate duplication of service delivery.
- Inform the Humanitarian Coordinator (HC) / Humanitarian Coordinator Team’s (HCT) strategic decision-making by: Preparing needs assessments and analysis of gaps (across and within sectors, using information management tools as needed); Identifying and finding solutions for (emerging) gaps, obstacles, duplication and cross-cutting issues; Formulating priorities on the basis of analysis.
- Plan and develop strategy by: Developing sectoral plans, objectives and indicators that directly support realization of the response’s strategic priorities; Applying and adhering to common standards and guidelines; Clarifying funding requirements, helping to set priorities, and agreeing cluster contributions to the Humanitarian Coordinator’s overall humanitarian funding proposals.
- Monitor and evaluate performance by Monitoring and reporting on activities and needs: Measuring performance against the cluster strategy and agreed results; Recommending corrective action where necessary.
- Build national capacity in preparedness and contingency planning: Identifying concerns that contribute to Humanitarian Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator Team messaging and action; Undertaking advocacy on behalf of the cluster.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Lead the identification/assessment and prioritization of key telecommunications bottlenecks and gaps impeding delivery of essential assistance by the humanitarian community
- Manage the relationship with any Emergency Telecommunication (ET) service providers on behalf of the cluster members
- Provide leadership to the ETC by organizing and chairing ETC meetings in order to better strategically coordinate the continuous identification of ICT problems and solutions adequate to ensure delivery of humanitarian assistance
- Represent the ETC at Inter-Cluster and other related coordination meetings
- Upon request of the Country Director of the leading agency, the ETC Coordinator can advocate for funding with donors as well as brief them on the ETC activities in the country
- Recommend to partners standard operation procedures, alternative ET solutions and a cost/benefit analysis for each solution
- Ensure adequate ET preparedness through the Inter-Agency contingency planning process
- Continuously raise awareness of the Cluster concept with the organizations present in the country of operation and support the mainstreaming of the cluster approach
- Liaise on a regular basis with all the in-country stakeholders
- Ensure proper dissemination of information and full participation of cluster participants to Flash Appeals, Strategic Response Plan (SRP)s and other funding proposals for common funds and donor funding mechanisms
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of ETC projects
- Where necessary, identify and mobilize resources (i.e. financial, HR, assets) for the services to be provided under the coordination of ET Cluster or other Cluster participating organizations)
- Promote/support training of staff and capacity building of humanitarian partners
- Ensure that common Inter-Agency emergency telecommunication services are in existence in all common operational areas as agreed by the Humanitarian Country Team