The ECF’s Strategic Communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level.
Team members deliver strategic advice, direct communications to media outlets, and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions more broadly.
The Spain Strategic Communications team is currently accepting applications for an enthusiastic and highly driven individual to join its team as Digital Associate. The successful candidate will use social and digital media to build and sustain engagement with key audiences in Spain. They will be at the forefront of using digital communication tools and techniques, and experiment with innovative tools to deliver our goals. This is an exciting opportunity for a communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the transition to climate neutrality.
About the role
We are looking for a digital media associate, who is deeply knowledgeable of best practices in digital communications and is a creative innovator who enjoys designing and executing new approaches. The successful candidate will use social and digital media to build and sustain engagement with key audiences in Spain on climate and energy issues. The role also involves providing technical advice to a wide array of partners on climate and energy issues in Spain, including civil society organizations and grassroots or community groups. The ideal candidate enjoys strategic planning, designing and execution of highly engaging social and digital media campaigns.
This opportunity suits a digital communications professional, with 3- 5 years of experience, who is passionate about addressing climate change. We are looking for a professional who enjoys collaborations and partnerships, thrives trying new approaches, is open to feedback, takes initiative, and is solutions oriented.
▪ Create, design and implement digital strategies and projects aligned with the Spain team’s priorities and communication activities, including for specific events or campaigns;
▪ Make full use of digital tools to disseminate targeted messaging of the Spain team and its partner organizations;
▪ Develop and manage social media accounts;
▪ Either directly create, or oversee the creation of, written and visual content for different social media platforms;
▪ Conduct content testing to determine which messages drive engagement;
▪ Establish and maintain social listening mechanisms to monitor and analyze the climate and energy debate in both traditional media and digital activity in Spain;
▪ Help gather data, analytics, and insights for campaigns; set up success criteria for successful campaigns; monitoring & evaluation
▪ Assist and advise grantees and partners on digital marketing and outreach activities, both project-based activities and digital strategy development processes;
▪ Either directly creating, or briefing externals and overseeing the production of, written and visual content (e.g. graphics, quote cards, memes, infographics, short-form videos) for different social media platforms
▪ When necessary, support the Spain Lead in drafting story pitches for journalists, help maintain a journalist contacts database, and monitor the media for emerging themes and narratives;
▪ Work with social media influencers;
▪ Drafting Spanish-language media briefs around communications initiatives by the ECF, its grantees and its partner organisations;
▪ Other ad hoc research work
Experience and competencies
▪ 3-5 years’ experience in the field of digital communications and social media account management;
▪ Fluency in Spanish and a high level of English sufficient to work in an international English speaking network;
▪ A working knowledge of how digital and social media can be used for campaigns on social issues;
▪ Knowledge of the Spanish social media and digital scene;
▪ Experience placing ad campaigns on Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn;
▪ Basic understanding of digital content creation; graphic design, photo and video editing and writing skills;
▪ Experience judging the success of and reporting on digital campaigns, ideally using social listening tools such as Keyhole or Talkwalker;
▪ Track record of experimenting with new ways to communicate with a wide range of audiences (both mass and narrow targeting);
▪ Experience in audience insights, segmentation and audience list management;
▪ Basic data literacy and an understanding of data-driven decision making;
▪ Proven track record of experimenting with new ways to communicate with a wide range of audiences (both mass and narrow targeting);
▪ A strong sense of story: which stories can affect and mobilize people
▪ Familiarity of digital platforms and tools (such as Sprout, Autopilot, Brandwatch) to target and engage different audiences, with an enthusiasm to learn more;
▪ Experience working with influencers;
▪ Experience of data-driven digital marketing.
▪ Website management/SEO and a working understanding of GDPR would be an advantage
▪ Ability to understand complex technical topics and translate them into simple language;
▪ The disposition to work with colleagues in a fast-paced, high trust global community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
▪ Ability to lead projects with various partners;
▪ Ability to work both in a team and independently.
What we offer
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time permanent employment contract
Flexible within Spain.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations. Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.