The Asia Foundation
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Vietnam office in Hanoi is seeking a Country Representative. The Country representative is the senior-most Asia Foundation (Foundation) employee in Vietnam and leads all programs, operations, and external relations in accordance with Foundation strategies and policy guidelines. The Country Representative is responsible for managing all aspects of the Foundation’s work in Vietnam office, including new program development; the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities; and the development of effective working relationships with the host government, donors, partner agencies, diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, and the media. This position also oversees financial and grant management, administration, and security; the recruitment, guidance, and appraisal of office staff; and fundraising and the diversification of donor support. The Country Representative is based in Hanoi and reports to the Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer in San Francisco.
- Minimum 15 years experience in Asia working on international development, international policy, international business, or a related field is required. Comprehensive understanding of Vietnamese history, politics, and administrative processes; significant experience working in Vietnam and knowledge of key institutions and government stakeholders is highly preferred
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively including a demonstrated capacity to build collaborations with the relatedgovernment agenciesand business communities.
- Successful record of fundraising from bilateral, multilateral, foundation, and private donors, including experience in proposal writing, managing proposal teams, and building and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Strong representational and diplomatic skills along with intercultural competence, vision and commitment to the Foundation and office’s mission
- Ability to assess the opportunities and barriers that contribute to the determination of the Foundation’s core areas of work in Vietnam over the immediate and longer term, consider a range of incremental steps to achieve the office’s goals, and determine which funding opportunities lead to the achievement of those goals with minimal risk to office operations
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and summarize complex information into simple concepts for broad communication to multiple types of audiences and stakeholders.
- Skilled at leading, motivating, and managing teams, as well as running effective meetings and demonstrated outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong program management skills and experience in designing new programs, establishing monitoring, evaluation, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with donor regulations, coordinating efforts across multiple programs, and identifying solutions to implementation challenges.
- Recognized knowledge in at least one of the office’s key current programming areas: Environment, Energy and Climate Action; Digital Economy and Transformation; Economic Governance and Inclusion; Education and Learning, and Migration and Labor.
- Excellent written communication skills, including proposal writing and report editing.,
- PhD in a field related to the office’s program areas is preferred, but a Master’s degree and related experience will be considered.
Applications should be submitted to Ms. Nguyen Hai Ha at email@example.com.
The application deadline is July 17, 2022
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.