Position: Consortium Coordinator Local Economic Development Project
Reporting to: Consortium Steering Committee
Duty station: Beirut, with frequent travels to the North Bekaa
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives agreed with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment; a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: ASAP
Application deadline: 16 May 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC in Lebanon
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 and is currently supporting vulnerable populations through WASH, Shelter, basic assistance, water governance, livelihood, and rural development interventions, in North Bekaa and in Akkar. Our interventions aim to increase the populations’ resilience, enhancing the communities’ capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
The mission counts more than 80 employees, divided in four offices (Beirut, Zahle, Ain, Kobayat). The main programs active from 2021 will be five multi-million and multi-year projects (see short profile below), three of which implemented in consortium with other organizations. Main donors of the mission are ECHO, EU, AICS, and AFD.
Purpose of the Role
WeWorld-GVC is the Lead partner in a EU DEVCO funded project on Local Economic Development in the North East Bekaa, through improving irrigation, agricultural value chains, producer aggregation, capacity building for public institutions and support to small and medium businesses. Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC seeks to recruit a Consortium Coordinator, to coordinate the 4-year project and be responsible for managing the governance structure, ensuring the quality and success of the partner organizations’ activities and their impact, donor and stakeholder relations, high-level project communication and representation.
Main functions and duties
- Coordinate the Local Economic Development project activities in collaboration with all consortium partners, consolidate approaches and inputs of partner organizations, to ensure a smooth implementation of the project
- Organize and facilitate the meetings of all Consortium governance bodies (Steering Committee, Project Management Unit)
- Effectively coordinate the project teams to ensure agreement, and coherence of approaches and alignment of project activities across partners
- Ensure project activities follow a participatory approach, involving stakeholders’, listening to and addressing their concerns where possible
- Manage one Consortium Coordination staff and provide guidance to the Project Managers, ensuring strong team spirit, a participatory working environment, and effective communication
- Ensure that existing schemes of delegation, finance guidelines and related administrative procedures are adhered to and that finances are coordinated with the relevant budget holders
Representation and communication
- Represent the consortium in public events and meetings with stakeholders, including local authorities and partners, including high level stakeholders nationally.
- Maintain regular communication with the donor and represent the consortium in coordination mechanisms, providing feedback to the consortium members
- Facilitate planning and logistics around donor, or high level stakeholder visits or visibility activities ensuring all partners are fairly represented
- Provide quality assurance of communications related to the consortium and ensure adequate prior involvement of the consortium partners in publications and other communication materials/ events, as well as approval from the EU, which carry the partners’ and donor logos.
MEAL, Reporting and advocacy
- Ensure proper Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) processes are carried out for all consortium partners across the project lifetime
- Coordinate the elaboration of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well as confidentiality of sensitive information and archiving of the relevant documentation
- Conduct periodic ‘lessons learned’ and review exercise and extract key findings, and synthesize corresponding reports
- Identify bottlenecks and areas of improvement relating to the project’s context and environment but outside its sphere of influence, and work with focal points from each partner organization to advocate with relevant stakeholders.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in the fields of Agro/Environmental Economics, Rural Development, Development Studies, Geography, Social or Political Science, or Business
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (EU DEVCO in particular)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience in coordinating projects successfully, including governance, coordination mechanisms, donor and stakeholder relations
- Previous experience in projects fostering local economic development in rural areas
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate between project partners, towards impactful results
- Team motivation, trouble shooting and conflict resolution skills, fostering team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Leadership, communication skills and diplomacy
- Ability to perform under stress conditions
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while guaranteeing attention to detail and quality assurance.