EnCompass seeks Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning for Lebanon (MELL), support activity in Lebanon. The purpose of this Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activity is to supplement the monitoring and program management efforts of USAID/Lebanon staff; and to verify, monitor and support USAID program performance in Lebanon.
In addition to providing overall leadership, management, and technical direction, the COP will have experience working in performance management, organizational development, strategic decision-making, quality control, and project learning, preferably in the USAID context and with Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) practices.
We are looking for someone who can facilitate learning and build relationships, with high political acumen and strong conflict prevention and management skills. S/he must be an inclusive leader, who can navigate change with flexibility and emotional resilience. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience focusing on results and impact, with strong strategic vision and an understanding of systems approaches to programming. S/he will understand how to foster a culture of continuous improvement and learning and will maintain high self-awareness and personal improvement skills.
The position will be full-time and be based in Beirut with travel throughout the country.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The COP will lead the Activity, providing technical guidance to and supervising both international and national staff and consultants. The COP will be the primary point of contact with USAID/Lebanon staff, including the Contracting Officer and Contracting Officer’s Representation (CO/COR).
Essential functions include:
• Serve as the main point of contact for the activity, providing vision, direction, leadership, and management for the contract; develop and oversee workplans and budgets
• Provide technical, operational, and managerial oversight to all aspects of the Activity to ensure all activities and deliverables are executed with quality and timeliness
• Establish and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with regional governments, USAID/Lebanon and USAID/Washington as required, along with relevant in-country stakeholders; serve as the primary point of contact for USAID and as the principal liaison with USAID staff, institutions, and country partners to exchange information and develop professional relationships
• Manage the team, ensure technical capacity of staff; provide technical assistance and backstopping when required
• Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with EnCompass’ standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws
• Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening in support of the journey to self-reliance
• Ensure documentation and dissemination of findings, impact, innovations, and lessons learned
• Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
• Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables and targets
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in development studies, evaluation, measurement, program analysis, or related field
• A minimum of ten (10) years of demonstrated relevant project management experience in developing countries is highly desirable
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in monitoring and evaluation and/or capacity building preferred
• Former supervisory experience is required
• Excellent communication, both verbal and written English skills, Arabic desirable
Experience and Skills
• Experience working in performance management, strategic decision-making, and project learning
• Experience building monitoring, evaluation, and learning capacities of USAID staff, implementing partners, and government counterparts highly preferred
• Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including donor/development organizations, government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders, and project beneficiaries is required; experience mentoring staff and working with international and national consultants and staff
• Substantial experience in managing a team using mixed research methods of similar magnitude
• Demonstrated leadership, strategic thinking/planning, management, and presentation skills required
• Demonstrated experience in evaluation methodology, statistical analysis, experimental design, and/or data collection and analysis, and familiarity with Third-Party Monitoring is required
• Demonstrated experience in non-permissive, conflict-prone or post-conflict reconstruction environments is required. Experience in the Middle East is highly desirable
• Strong interpersonal and oral communications and presentation skills are required
• Working knowledge of and experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations and procedures
• Strong familiarity with USAID CLA practices, M&E design and principles
• Familiarity with USAID/Lebanon is preferred
• Ability to travel within Lebanon, as necessary