World Vision USA is a part of the larger World Vision International partnership, a development and advocacy organisation devoted to improving the lives of children, families and their communities around the world. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith. Globally, we have over 37,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries. Just over 1000 of us call World Vision USA home.
The Job: World Vision is looking for a Business Development Manager to support our rapid growth in the health international development space. This position will support the US-based Business Development and World Vision National Offices overseas, to identify new opportunities among public, private and non-profit sources of funding. The position will:
- Position and manage all components of the proposal development process, ensuring a high quality and timely submission.
- Manage and or/support post submission and lessons learned processes. Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
- Engage in the Teams’ development of best practice and evidenced base approaches utilized in proposals.
- Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word and sign.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Pre-positioning: identify relevant upcoming funding opportunities, track grant forecasts, and using resources for advance intelligence gathering; prepare recommendations based on specific go/no-go decision criteria; identify and reach out to potential partners; manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning; participate in pre-design meetings and drafting sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation; coordinate and facilitate design workshops; support field teams to collect relevant country and technical area information that informs design.
- Proposal Preparation and Coordination: Lead the coordination and development of proposals from initial development to grant submissions; manage partners’ inputs to the cost application; coordinate/provide technical input to field and US-based finance officers to support the completion of the cost application in alignment with the technical program design; manage proposal review process and check for budget alignment, responsiveness and compliance with donor guidelines; build effective working relationships with partners on proposal bids; support the management of consultants recruited to support proposal development; support the recruitment process to ensure identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel in proposals.
- Post Submission: Contribute to collecting and sharing proposal process lessons learned after the submission; coordinate program design hand over to program manager(s).
- External Engagement and Networking: Identify U.S., international, and local partners for future opportunities; arrange client meetings and calls with partners; conduct client outreach and follow up with subject matter experts for organizing meeting; support technical advisors to develop organizational capability statements in coordination with the communications team.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
- Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You’ll Bring These Skills:
- Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite
Strategic planning and excellent time management skills
Minimum 2 years working in international development with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID
Two or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time
Ability to travel internationally on short notice
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in health, public health, international development/relations, economics, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred; In addition to education or education equivalent, requires work experience in international relief and development. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
- Keen interest and excitement in business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Arabic, Spanish, Swahili) highly preferred.