Biodiversity and Environmental Crimes
Technical Lead, Terms of Reference
ABA ROLI is seeking a Technical Lead for a potential program on biodiversity and environmental crimes in Colombia. The Technical Lead will be based in Colombia and will lead ABA ROLI’s efforts in Colombia to respond to environmental crimes in the Amazon region. The Technical Lead will provide oversight of technical implementation, program deliverables, and work with our partner organizations. The Technical Lead will also be responsible for major technical progress of the program and impact through tangible monitoring and evaluation data. This position is contingent upon available funding for this program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
● Provides technical oversight and coordination of the program goals, objectives and activities.
● Works closely with the project’s implementing partners on the strategy of project development and implementation, and ensures that activities are aligned with the overall mission, vision, and values of ABA ROLI and are responsive to the Colombian context.
● Supports the development and use of monitoring, evaluation and learning from program priorities, and integrates learning and adjusts program strategy on the basis of program data.
● Works closely with other technical experts and other partner organizations to ensure effectiveness and quality in activities under ABA ROLI’s role in the program’s implementation.
● Creates, fosters, nurtures, and expands working relationships with host government representatives, local actors, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding plan/program objectives.
● Provides guidance and oversight of program activities including trainings, meetings with stakeholders and partners, and any other relevant activities.
● Monitors the operational, political, social and legal environment within the country and targeted regions of the program and informs ABA ROLI staff of such shifts that might positively/negatively impact the program.
● Responsible for ensuring compliance with ABA and donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
● Monitors ABA’s operating budget requirements in cooperation with Finance and Program staff, and is accountable for adhering to the approved budget without degradation of service or mission accountabilities.
● Mentors and trains staff in strategic technical implementation of program objectives and activities, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting.
● Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development, and, where appropriate, applies discipline, to and through assigned employees.
● Performs other related duties as required.
● Juris doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, and/or a post-graduate degree (U.S. or foreign) in criminal law, environmental law, public law or a related discipline.
● At least seven years of previous experience working on international development programs in the Latin American and Caribbean region, including in Colombia and funded by the U.S. Government, and primarily focused on the following initiatives: environmental conservation, rule of law, citizen security and participation,
● At least five years of experience as a manager or director of grant-funded international development programs, or a local development program including a proven track record of personnel management, financial management and compliance, and demonstrated familiarity with U.S. rules and regulations for grants, contracts or cooperative agreements.
● Fluency in Spanish and English (verbal and written).
● Experience as a judge, prosecutor, judicial or inspector officer in Colombia, with a background in environmental crimes.
● Experience working with justice sector institutions and/or civil society organizations in Colombia on environmental issues, access to justice, governance and related litigation.
● Demonstrated knowledge and experience with environmental issues and the roles of government institutions in the investigation and prosecution of crimes associated with the environment, both nationally and locally.
● Experience as a trainer, university teacher or lecturer on the topics indicated.
If interested in this position, please email your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com.