About the role
The Area Manager is a member of the DRC Greece Senior Management Team; s/he is responsible for the overall management, implementation and programme development of DRC’s operations and represents externally DRC in the assigned area of responsibility.
S/he will be responsible for all support functions (administration, HR, Finance, Supply Chain) as well as for the implementation of DRC’s multisector integrated programme in line with DRC’s strategy in Greece, in close coordination with the Country Office and by receiving technical assistance by the relevant technical experts in the above areas of work.
The position requires a high degree of responsibility, flexibility and understanding of complex organizational charts including horizontal liaising among different senior managers and particularly the Athens based Heads of Departments. S/he reports to the Country Director.
Representation and External Relations
- Act as the main DRC representative in the area and regularly communicate DRC strategy and advocacy messages to all relevant forums/meetings with the objective to strengthen DRC’s position in the area;
- Identify and build, or maintain relationships with authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area.
- Leadership, coordination and integration of DRC activities in the area in line with DRC’s Strategic Programme Document (SPD);
- Direct line management in compliance with the DRC procedures and the Greek Labour Law of the staff based in the designated region, including recruitment, coaching, performance management, appraisal processes, capacity building and ensuring interdepartmental co-ordination;
- Ensure that existing programming and operational guidelines are being applied and followed by all teams in the area of responsibility;
- Ensure a rights-based approach to all DRC programming in his/her area of responsibility;
- Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the team both locally but also with the Country Office team;
- Lead DRC’s change management initiatives and promote a culture of accountability within all team members.
- Ensure necessary systems are in place and followed according to DRC Operations Handbook and with support of Country Office HR, Finance and Supply Chain (support) Teams.
- Provide strategic direction to the DRC programme in the Area of Operations through engagement with the country level strategic planning processes and the facilitation of the Larissa Office area strategy,
- To ensure coherent and integrated programming Provide leadership and coordination support to sector Team Leaders and Managers to enable them to efficiently deliver the activities they are responsible for in the area of operations including, but not limited, to protection, sms (cccm adaptation), non-formal education, integration activities (durable solutions)
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the technical programme teams in the Country Office to ensure effective utilization of programme technical support and oversight capacity including but not limited to HoPs, Sector Coordinators, Specialists
- Empower staff in the Area of Operations to engage proactively on strategic direction and programme design, and to take initiative on programme delivery Provide input proactively to fundraising efforts in coordination with the CD, HoP and PTU to deliver the agreed Country and Area Strategy actively
- Support in the development and delivery of regional priorities, approaches and programmes within the context of the DRC Greece SPD
Safety and Security
- Monitor developments on security situation in the area of responsibility;
- Ensure staff safety measures are in place and implemented with the support of the Safety Advisor;
- Ensure immediate communication with all relevant colleagues both locally and in Athens for any security related incident and ensure Safety Incident Reports are submitted.
Operational systems and support functions
- Provide budget monitoring and financial control in compliance with DRC policies and donor requirements;
- Ensure compliance with Supply Chain procedures;
- Ensure implementation of the ERP, locally;
- dentify procedural gaps in DRC’s systems and ensure existing ones are implemented locally.
- Comply with internal reporting requirements, contribute to, and provide quality assurance of external reports related to the area of responsibility.
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area;
- Implement locally the DRC Greece Accountability Framework under the overall management of the Country Director and the technical guidance of the Accountability Officer
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ professional work experience within humanitarian/development work (1-2 years in management positions);
- Good understanding of displacement issues of refugees and related international standards/frameworks;
- Solid project management experience;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking;
- Solid management skills and ability to manage large team;
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders;
- Excellent negotiation, advocacy and communication skills;
- Knowledge of displacement issues and local context in Greece and/or Europe is a strong asset.
- Ability to live and work in a demanding working environment.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- University degree in international development, international relations, human rights, business administration, management, or another relevant field is required
- Full professional fluency in English (Greek language knowledge is an asset)
Contract type: National Contract
Contract length: 6-12 months renewable depending on performance and funding.
Duty Station: Family – Unaccompanied
Start date: Early March
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Greek Nationals